Most of the time, there doesn’t seem to be enough time for busy working parents to offer kids nutritious snacks, day after day. This is where this no-bake treat comes in; it is easy, no fuss and you could probably even get the kids to participate in making it.
Start with the visit to the grocery store. Get the kids to visit the store with you, so the participation begins from the very beginning! You will need a variety of nutritious nuts and seeds like almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, and dates; the kids could help by finding a big jar of peanut butter, and honey. Next you will need a package of quick oats, and if it comes in the multi-grain variety, choose it over the plain oats - for added nutrition and fibre!
Home-made Granola Bars
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter / almond butter
- 1 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (toasted)
Add: chocolate/ banana chips, dried fruits, other nuts, and seeds – the choice is yours.
- Warm and mash the dates. The consistency should be such that you can roll it into little into balls. If it seems too dry, add a tsp. of warm water.
- Put the oats, almonds and the dates in a bowl and set aside.
- Put the honey and peanut butter together in a small saucepan and just warm it enough for it to melt together. Pour it over oat, dates, and nut mixture. If the mixture seems a little too sticky, add a bit more oatmeal.
- Put mixture in pan lined with plastic wrap.
- Flatten uniformly. Cover with plastic wrap, and place it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes so it becomes cool and hard.
- Slice into bars and store in an airtight container for a few days. You can also freeze the bars and take them out as you need them.
Chewy, Tasty, Nutritious, and Easy!